So you wanna be a hero kid? Well first you have to cut down trees, build shacks and make boars fall in love with you! That’s right, we’re playing Valheim too. Today we take a look at how you can get your hands on all those juicy, juicy fish that swim so invitingly close to the shore. Without further ado, here’s our fishing in Valheim guide!
I’m Going Fishing
At this time it is not possible to make a rod and the only way to purchase one is from the solitary merchant, Haldor, who is hidden somewhere in your world. More specifically he can be found in the Black Forest biome. His location is randomised but when you do get close to him, you’ll see a sack icon on your map. A rod costs 350 gold and 50 bait costs 10 gold. At this time, buying these items is the only way to start your fishing adventure.
For more details on finding the merchant, click HERE.
I Got Me A Line
Once you’ve got yourself a rod and some bait you’ll need to equip both items via your hot-bar. You’ll also need to find a large body of water where you can see some fish swimming around. Alternativly, you could head out in a raft or boat. Make sure you’ve got 3 different types of food and that you have eaten each one to max your stamina before you cast out your line.
Next you can follow these simple steps:
- Hold down the left mouse button to wind up your cast.
- Release the left mouse button to cast out your line towards the fish. The float will sit at the surface.
- You can tap the right mouse button to reel the line in towards you and attract fish. This isn’t always necessary though.
- If bubbles appear around your float, fish are interested in your line!
- Once a fish grabs the bait and pulls the float beneath the surface, press the right mouse button to hook it.
- If you were successful, you should get the message ‘hooked’ pop up on screen.
- Tap the right mouse button to reel the fish in but be wary that reeling uses stamina! If your stamina fully depletes, you’ll lose the fish!
- Once the fish is close enough, press ‘e’ to add it to your inventory.
You can repeat this process for as long as you have bait in your inventory.
Fish, Lovely Fish
There are 3 types of fish available to catch. They come in different shapes and sizes so each gives a different amount of raw fish which can be cooked on a fire as a food source.
|Fish Type||Raw Fish Amount Given Per Catch|
|Small Mouth Bass||1|
|Large Tuna (Found further out and are much faster than the others!)||4|
Each piece of raw fish can be cooked on a fire for a great stock of invaluable food.
Rod Not Your Style?
If you can’t find the merchant, have a fear of fishing rods or you’re just really thrifty, you can collect fish by hand. No, we’re not suggesting jumping in the sea and wildly flailing your axe. Sometimes fish end up on the shoreline or bank of a river. This is most likely to occur during or after a storm as the waves can easily wash the fish up and out of the water making it very easy to collect them. We wouldn’t bank on this method but certainly something to look out for when out on a resource scrounge.
That’s it for our fishing in Valheim guide, how did you get on? Let us know on Twitter or in the comments below!